Two New Yorkers spend six months 18 months!?! in Bangalore and other places in India.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What I Spent, Part 1

First of an occasional (and shallow) series; with all prices in rupees
On Jan. 30, my second day here, I bought the following:

  • Towels at Home Stop, a kind of Indian Bed Bath and Beyond:
    219 ($5) and 210. The old-fashioned Bombay Dyeing store wanted 600 at first -- I think that was my clue that I should have started haggling. Instead I just retreated and went to spend too much elsewhere.

  • "Genuine" Swatch watch, bought on from a very persistent guy on Brigade Road, 475. He'd suggested 1200 at first.

  • Year-long membership in the British Library
    Nothing, since they wouldn't let me join without proof of my address. That'll be a little tricky.

  • Super-huge road atlas of Bangalore and a cookbook of South Indian cooking, which looks a lot more ambitious now than it did in the store,
    200 and 89.

No comments: